Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Four Heads For the Price of One!

If you have somewhere to store costumes in your school or theatre, then like me, you are probably always on the lookout for stock costume pieces. I am always surprised by what I find when I am not actually looking for anything, so whenever I go to another town or city I try and sniff out the second hand stores. More times than I care to admit, the person behind the counter might even know who I am. That's alot of thrift shopping hey?

So because I am in pre-show mode and I had some time on my hands, I scoured the Salvation Army, or Sally Ann to see what they had - today was good! I got a very classy rental tux vest of red and black brocade, which would have been perfect for Daddy Warbucks - too bad it's 2 years too late... a string of largish champagne coloured pearls for Audrey, a vintage 1920's tuxedo shirt in great condition, a very cool deep canary yellow short sleeved shirt for Seymour - so yeah, the first piece for that character is now found, and big cheer - four styrofoam heads to store wigs on! It has been a slow climb toward enough heads for all our wigs, this makes it so much easier for the dressers backstage and makes me happier that the wigs will end up with longer lives. SO that's about 9 that we have now.

Hmm. I could actually do a lesson on setting wigs in my tech theatre class with those. Once again I am led to more work. Why can't I find things and think up things that will lead me to more money?

Anyway, not bad for 20 minutes work and 10 bucks.

That's a good day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment